Known as one of the State’s most tenacious litigators, Tim Donohue enjoys an excellent reputation with his colleagues at the bench and bar. Tim has tried numerous jury trials in State and Federal court and has developed an impressive track record of handling difficult cases with discretion and sensitivity.
Tim specializes in white collar criminal defense. He has tried cases involving charges of bank fraud, money laundering, wire and mail fraud, RICO, and tax fraud. Tim has represented a wide variety of public and private figures over the years. In the private sector, he has represented licensed professionals, including doctors, lawyers, accountants, and investment advisors, as well as professionally licensed jockeys, trainers, and owners. He has represented a number of prominent officials in state, county, and local government. Tim also provides consulting and strategic advice to a number of businesses and individuals on compliance issues and internal investigations.
Tim prides himself on his ability to provide practical solutions to clients facing the threat of criminal prosecution. The filing of charges can be devastating to a client’s personal and professional reputation. Because of his excellent reputation among his adversaries, Tim has been able to negotiate significant resolutions for his clients long before any charges have been brought.
In addition to his criminal defense practice, Tim handles a variety of civil matters ranging from commercial litigation to serious personal injuries. He currently serves as local counsel to various governmental bodies and businesses.
- Represented key figure in federal Bridgegate investigation
- Obtained not guilty verdict for attorney accused of official misconduct and obstruction of justice after six week jury trial
- Negotiated PTI and non-custodial sentence for two defendants facing first degree drug charges
- Convinced state court to quash grand jury subpoena issued to physician accused of possession of assault rifles and illegal weapons, thereby avoiding prosecution
- Successfully argued before the United States Court of Appeals to reverse a conviction for criminal contempt in a major environmental prosecution
- Secured summary judgment and dismissal of employment discrimination complaint against mayor of large municipality
- Obtained not guilty verdict in attempted murder and aggravated assault trial in state court
- Successfully argued before New Jersey Supreme Court on DWI matter
- Tried four month trial in federal court involving bank fraud, tax fraud, and money laundering
- Convinced government not to prosecute licensed pharmacist for money laundering and structuring cash transactions
- Successfully argued motion to vacate 25 year sentence of pharmacist based upon constitutional violations
- Negotiated probationary sentence for distributor of pharmaceutical supplies convicted of $50 million fraud
- Avoided prosecution of client targeted in federal grand jury investigation for pay-to-play and political corruption
- Obtained reversal on appeal of defendant’s conviction of death by auto
- Negotiated numerous six figure settlements in personal injury and employment matters
Honors and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of White Collar Criminal Defense
- Recognized by Super Lawyers in the areas of White Collar Criminal Defense, Employment & Labor, Business Litigation, and Personal Injury, 2006 – present
- Named Best Lawyers 2015 “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Criminal Defense
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in the areas of Criminal Defense – White Collar, Criminal Defense – Non-White Collar, DUI/DWI Defense, 2007 – present
- New Jersey’s Top Rated Lawyers (Law.com): Commercial Litigation, White Collar Criminal Defense, Litigation
- New York Area’s Top Attorneys, New York Magazine: Commercial Litigation, White Collar Criminal Defense
- Recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a Tier 1 law firm in the areas of Criminal Defense and DUI Defense
- AV Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest level of professional excellence as determined by peers)
- New Jersey State Bar Association Professionalism Award
- Seton Hall University School of Law Distinguished Alumni Award
- Seton Hall Law Review, Associate Editor